Check-list for flying with your pet:
To travel with total peace of mind, make sure you have carried out the applicable formalities and are aware of the conditions of carriage for your pet.
- Report your pet to your airline.
- Find out about the phytosanitary rules and formalities applicable at the destination and in stopover countries if you need to take a connecting flight.
- To be admitted on board, your pet must be up to date with all of its mandatory vaccines.
- Any dog or cat travelling within the European Union must be identified by means of an electronic chip. It must also carry a European passport.
- Make sure it has a comfortable flight, by carrying it inside a cage that is adapted to its needs.
- Don't worry if your pet has to travel in the baggage hold - the hold is always heated and pressurised.
- Depending on the destination, your pet may be placed in quarantine upon arrival. Contact your carrier or the consulate of the country you are visiting to find out about the conditions that apply when your pet enters the country.
Your pet is travelling in the hold
The baggage hold is a ventilated, pressurised, heated place. Your pet will be able to travel safely, and its cage will be well supported to guarantee a pleasant journey.
Contact your airline to find out the travel arrangements for each type of animal.
Conditions for flying in the hold
- Your pet must travel in a cage designed for this purpose (standard cages are available for purchase at Safe Bag- public area - Hall C).
- The price is usually the same as the excess baggage fee. In principle, guide dogs accompanying passengers with disabilities travel free-of-charge in the cabin or the hold.
- Pets travelling in the hold take a different route from that of conventional baggage: they are handled as oversized items. You may therefore have to go to the special baggage security check in the departure hall, before going through the usual checks.
Your pet is travelling in the cabin
Conditions for flying in the cabin
- Check with your airline which animals you can carry in the cabin with you. Most of the time, only small animals (usually cats and dogs) are allowed to travel with you, and they should not weigh more than 5 kg.
- Your pet must travel in a cage designed for this purpose (dimensions < 115 cm width-length-height).
- Guide dogs can travel for free in the cabin with their owner (dogs must be muzzled).
- When you go through security, animals and accessories will be checked (basket, cage, leash, etc.)
- Follow the instructions given by staff when you go through security.
Is your pet travelling without you?
Please be aware, in some cases, your pet will not be able to travel in the cabin with you or in the hold (size and weight conditions, specific transport conditions imposed by certain countries); in that case, it will have to be transported by freight.
Contact your airline for more information.