Pay for your purchases tax-free
What is Duty Free?
Normally, all items and services you buy are subject to VAT in the country where you’re located.
When travelling by plane, some shops situated in international zones are not subject to the taxes of the country in which they are in.
These shops are therefore described as being “Duty Free”. When you buy something duty free, it means you may pay for your goods without paying the taxes applied by the country where you’re making your purchase.
Note: some shops offer the same price to the customer regardless of their destination by taking charge of the difference (being Duty-Paid).
How do I benefit from duty-free prices?
It all depends on the products and where you’re going. Quantities depend also on the type of merchandise, your destination and your age.
Duty-free shopping is available only for travel outside the European Union (except Andorra and the Channel Islands), because the European Union is an area of free movement of goods and people.
Places where you can buy duty-free products are usually found:
- in airports and seaports
- in international zones (in flight or at sea)
- before going through customs in border areas.
You have to cross the European border to be entitled to duty-free shopping.
- The duty-free terms of purchase are subject to the rules of the country you’re in. Therefore, always find out about the limits and allowances imposed by the customs of the country in question (more info here).
- The authorised quantities and allowances are those that apply in your final destination country.
Journeying from Toulouse...
- To the European Union: your purchases are subject to VAT – duty-paid price. (except in Andorra and the Channel Islands)
- To a country outside the European Union: your purchases are exempt from taxes – duty-free price.
Journeying to Toulouse…
- From a country within the European Union: you purchase products at a duty-paid price.
- From a country outside the European Union: the duty-free price applies to your purchases.
You must present your boarding pass at the checkout in order to confirm your destination and benefit from a duty-free rate.
At Toulouse Airport, you will find the shops selling duty-free items (Dufry, The Fashion Place, etc.) in the boarding area.
Requesting a tax refund
Outside the European Union, you can also request a tax refund for purchases made outside of duty-free zones. The tax may be refunded:
- Directly in stores.
- Before passing through customs, on presenting a tax refund form provided at the point of sale (or export sales slip).